|Posted by Francie Sorem on January 8, 2010 at 6:56 AM|
Hopefully 2010 will bring a much needed return to prosperity for everyone of us. I finally took the technological plunge and created a Final Cut web page. With Amy's help we became web experts in a quick afternoon, hahahahaha.
Ten things I know for sure as a Hair Dresser
1. I know i made the right decision 39 years ago to forgo a college education and risk the ridicule of my academic family to embark on an adventure of education, demoralization, humility, hard work, intense self scrutiny, passion, determination and success.
2. The more you know, the more you know you don't know. Every day every year, every lifetime, the more information you absorb and assimilate makes you humbly aware that there is so much more that you do not understand nor recognize.
3. The "ah has" you learn through trial and error are all the more satisfying for the sense of discovery, but disheartening that they took you so long to learn.
4. I always remember Roy Peters saying "There are only two rules of color you need to know. 1, that opposite colors on the color wheel neutralize each other out and 2, the darker color will always dominate. That was the canvas I was able to draw on for every law of color I learned afterwards. He was brilliant to put it so succinctly.
5. That in sharing education with others, you receive the gift ofencouragement, praise, knowledge, humility, and satisfaction. And the satisfaction is worth more then any of the money i ever got paid. I never forget the letters from persons that i have influenced in anyway. It is the highest achievement or award.
6. I have the power of touch. I have the opportunity in my work to touch people physically, spiritually, intellectually and emotionally. It not only empowers me it empowers them as well, because they become a part of the connection that binds us all together.
7. I know that i can cut someone's hair, and make their life easier for them. A good haircut styles itself, when it is not so good, every morning is a difficult exercise of frustration. I love it when a client comes in and tells me how easy their hair is to do.
8. The most difficult thing for me being hair dresser is working on people who are unhappy or do not like themselves, because I know that I will never be able to please them.
9. I love being a part of a business that is such a left brained and right brained dichotomy.
I , being a logic driven individual am continually fascinated by puzzling out how to accomplish methods and techniques to make my work easier and better. On the other hand I am continually challenged to create art not limited by logical applications. I admire the vision that is able to enjoy the process of creating beautiful art effortlessly, while i have to work at it so hard.
10. What i know most about being a hairdresser is that it is a lifeforce that runs through me and i could never give it up just like i cannot survive without breath in my lungs. I will be a part of this industry forever, because I have helped to teach and inspire those coming after me. And I see in them the passion to help others learn as well. I am not famous nor well known, but I am respected and enjoyed by those who know me well.
It is the fame I live for.
I would love to hear from all of you with 10 things you know for sure about something you are passionate about. It could be motherhood, skydiving or martini making, but i would love to hear what all of you have to say. I will print up your responses and have them in a book in the salon. I hope that you will take the time to assess a part of you that we would all like to share in.
have a great January and i will be continuing to blog on this page from time to time. We have many exciting things coming up so please stay tuned